Sunday, August 23, 2015

SUMMERS END

 
SUMMER IS ALMOST OVER AND I HADN'T TAKEN
ANY PICS AROUND THE YARD SO I SNAPPED A FEW
YESTERDAY. REMEMBER I'M NOT A GARDENER
BY ANY STRETCH SO DON'T EXPECT VERY MUCH!
NOT MUCH DIFFERENT IN THE
FRONT EXCEPT FOR MY CUTE LITTLE FENCE.
 
 
AND THIS COXCOMB FLOWER BROUGHT
HOME FORM MY FRIEND CAROLE'S GARDEN
IN LOWER MI IN JUNE.
THANKS CAROLE!
I LOVE TO DO QUILTS WITH APPLIQUED
COXCOMB FLOWERS SO AM THRILLED TO
HAVE A REAL ONE!

 
HARD TO SEE BUT I PAINTED THE
HOUSE FOUNDATION IN THE SPRING
AND WHILE I WAS AT IT I PAINTED THAT
UGLY GRAY GAS METER THE SAME SO
AT LEAST IT BLENDS IN MORE WITH
THE BRICKS OF THE HOUSE. YOU CAN SEE
A TINY BIT OF THE PIPES STICKING UP
OVER THE TOP OF THE CHAIR.


 
I BOUGHT A BEE SKEP THIS SUMMER TOO.

 
A NEIGHBOR GAVE ME FOUR LONG
WEATHERED BENCHES THEY DIDN'T WANT
SO I PUT THREE OF THEM ON THE BACK
DECK.  I STACKED TWO AND COLLECTED
A FEW OLD GAS CANS TO PUT ON THEM.
ALONG WITH A BIRD HOUSE AND SOME OTHER'
CANS I HAD.


 
THESE TWO WANTED IN THE PICS!
 

 
I PLANTED DIFFERENT PURPLE PETUNIAS
IN THE BARREL PLANTER OUT BY
THE SHED CUZ IN THE FENCED AREA I HAVE
PINKS AND PURPLE HOLLYHOCKS BUT THEY
DIDN'T COME UP THIS YEAR SO I'LL HAVE
TO PLANT THE PETUNIAS AGAIN NEXT YEAR.
I THINK IT WILL LOOK PRETTY OUT THERE
WITH BOTH FLOWERING.

 
SADLY WE HAD TO PUT MY DAD'S
HOUSE ON THE MARKET IN MY HOMETOWN.
DAD BUILT IT 54 YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS 4.
I WAS OVER THERE IN JUNE FOR MY AUNTS
FUNERAL SO I TOOK WHAT I WANTED AND
THIS WEATHERED BIRD FEEDER WAS
IN DAD'S FRONT GARDEN BED.  PERFECT FOR
ME WITH THE WEATHERED WOOD.  I HUNG IT
IN OUR OLD APPLE TREE.   NOW I CAN FEED
THE BIRDS AND THINK OF DAD.
 
HOPE YOU ENJOY THE PICS. 
HAVE A WONDERFUL SUMMERS DAY.
 
UNTIL NEXT TME.....LORI
 

15 comments:

The Eveningstitcher said...

Your yard looks beautiful, Lori! I love the benches...how lucky were you??? Brian and Zoe look quite comfortable, but it looks like he has his working boots on...are you making that poor man work, Lori?? LOL....

It's sweet that you have the bird feeder of your dads. Such a nice remembrance!

Orange Sink said...

Lori I LOVE your yard and the plants all look so healthy and beautiful!! All the antiques are perfect and add so much primitive greatness!!
Brian and Zoe are looking good!! A much deserved rest in the rocker I'm sure!
Glad you were able to get that old bird feeder and keep some memories of your Dad's place. It's hard seeing the places we grew up being put on the market but hopefully a family will start making their own treasured memories there and take good care of it...
Hugs and Blessings!!
Cathy G

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lori,
Your home looks so warm and inviting with all those beautiful plants and old antique pieces surrounding it!! The red paint really sets off the brick so nicely!! Yes, I agree with Bobbie about those benches!!! You will have so much fun using them! They look so good stacked with those cans and birdhouses!!
Brian and Zoe look sweet sitting together, just waiting to see what their next assignment is! lol
Thanks so much for the lovely visit, my friend!
Have a Happy Sunday!
Warm Hugs~
Julie

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Again,
I forgot to add how much I love the bird feeder from your dad!!! It will be such a special reminder of him each time you see it!!! We all need to have those precious treasures from loved ones!
Hugs~
Julie

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your yard looks great, Lori!
What sweet memories attached to that birdhouse. So happy it came home with you.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Mugwump Woolies said...

Lori, your yard...deck...and flowers look wonderful. I can't believe how full and happy they look! Down here our flowers are withered from the heat, or waterlogged from the rain. Looking forward to a little drying out in the next few months! I have my father's birdbath right outside my sunporch window and I enjoy watching a pair of cardinals splashing around every few days. I know my father would be happy to know I have kept this little respite space for the birds he so enjoyed. You will get many hours of enjoyment from your dad's birdhouse. Love the benches, too. I have one bench right outside my back door with a bee skep. on it and I love seeing it when looking out my French doors.
Robyn

carole said...

Lori, Everything looks wonderful. I am glad that the cockscomb made it back home. Thanks to Brian for taking you here to visit me this summer, and I was glad to met Zoe. I love the benches on your deck too. I will be anxious to see how you decorate for the fall. Love, carole

carole said...

It is always nice to have something from home. The bird house is great. Carole

moosecraft said...

Your yard and flowers look wonderful! I've never had any luck with coxcomb... yours looks so healthy!

Saundra said...

You have certainly put me to shame with all the work you accomplished during the summer. Love the benches and how you used them. Sweet memories of your dad with the bird feeder.

Earlene L. said...

Lori I love everything that you've done in your yard!
Neat as a pin!
That's sweet about your dad birdfeeder.
I don't wasnt Summer to end.
Hugs
Earlene

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

Your yard and flowers look so healthy and pretty. Not a weed in sight unlike mine. Love the benches and your deck!

Karen Martinsen said...

Hi Lori - what a delightful home you have!
I like that you painted the foundation - and that gas meter...lol
We have one I keep saying I'm going to paint but haven't done it yet - you gave me inspiration.
Beautiful flowers! - oh and what a score on those benches - they just didn't know they had some 'jewels'!
I would love to plant some hollyhocks but my husband just does not like them - I like the nostalgia I feel from them...we had them as a little girl and I loved them.
Blessings
Karen

Margaret said...

Everything looks so pretty. Your garden is lovely. I'm your newest follower. Can't wait to read through your older posts! Maggie/Maggie's Lil' Fixins

HomeSpunPrims said...

Thank you everyone! Welcome Maggie! Thanks for following. Hugs, Lori