Monday, April 1, 2013

GIFT FOR A FRIEND


MY DEAR FRIEND KATHY TURNED 60
YESTERDAY ON EASTER SUNDAY!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHY!!
WE GOT TOGETHER TODAY AND I GAVE
HER THIS GIFT I MADE FOR HER.
IT'S A PATTERN MANY WILL RECOGNIZE....
MAGGIE BONANOMI'S
BUTTERNUT HOUSE WOOL APPLIQUE
FROM HER BOOK WITH THESE HANDS.
I'VE PERSONALIZED IT FOR KATHY AND HER
HUBBY BY ADDING THEIR NAME AND
WEDDING DATE, MINUS A HUNDRED YEARS.
INSTEAD OF SOLID BLACK FOR THE BACKGROUND
I USED A SUBTLE BLACK STRIPED WOOL.
I ALSO ADDED A BLACK PLAID HOMESPUN
TO THE BACK TO FINISH IT OFF AND DID
THE BUTTONHOLE STITCH IN BLACK
PEARL COTTON AROUND THE OUTSIDE EDGE
TO HOLD THE FRONT AND BACK TOGETHER.
CLICK ON THE PIC TO ENLARGE IT FOR
A BETTER LOOK. I DON'T DO WOOL APPLIQUE
VERY OFTEN SO IT WAS A NICE CHANGE
OF PACE FOR ME AND I REALLY ENJOYED
MAKING IT FOR KATHY.

IT WAS FUN TO DO AND KATHY SEEMED
TO REALLY LIKE IT. SHE CALLED TO SAY
SHE FOUND THE PERFECT SPOT FOR IT
ON A BUILT IN CUPBOARD SHE KEEPS
HER REDWARE IN.  I'LL TAKE A PICTURE OF
IT ON HER CUPBOARD NEXT TIME I'M OVER
AT HER HOUSE.

I JUST FINISHED THE BINDING ON
MY BIG STAR QUILT AND WASHED IT.
I LIKE TO WASH MY QUILTS FOR THAT
OLD PUCKERED LOOK AFTER I QUILT
AND BIND THEM. I'LL SHOW YOU HOW
IT TURNED OUT IN A DAY OR TWO.

UNTIL NEXT TIME....LORI


21 comments:

annie said...

Happy Birthday Kathy, that is a fabulous gift! Would love to see it with her red ware, and your quilt too.! have a great week, hugs to Zoe!

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful pattern and you did a beautiful job on your wool choices and designing it, just for her.

Debbie

Ann Frank said...

Lori, Your applique piece is BEAUTIFUL. Did you want to know when my birthday is?LOL. Kathy is a lucky gal. ~Ann

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

Lori- It is beautiful! I love that pattern!

jody said...

wow what a great birthday gift! love the pattern, fun to do something different every once in a while! enjoy your evening!

Orange Sink said...

Lori,
Wow! Kathy is one lucky friend! I LOVE that design and your color choices are gorgeous! Can't wait to see your finished quilt!
Is it warming up at all over in your neck of the woods?
Sure is slow to warm up here.... maybe by the weekend we'll see a little relief!
Thank-you too for your sweet words on my design and rug today! It's so good to hear from you... was getting worried but I see you've been busy stitching!!
Big Hugs!!
Cathy G

Mugwump Woolies said...

Gorgeous! Love the colors you chose for this wonderful pattern...what a lucky friend!
Robyn

Rugs and Pugs said...

Lucky Kathy! Happy birthday to her. What a perfect gift!
Looking forward to seeing your quilt.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Jonette said...

Beautiful!!!!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Oh it's just wonderful and I'm sure Kathy loved every stitch of it! Hope you had a very nice Easter :)

The Evening Stitcher said...

Lucky, lucky Kathy!! I love that penny rug..I made one a few years ago for a give-away on TDipT....that's when I acutally finished things in a timely fashion! From one 60 year old to another....Life is grand....enjoy!

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

What a beautiful gift to give. Kathy is a very lucky girl ~ Happy Birthday!!!
Looking forward to seeing your quilt!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Dirty Martini Queen said...

What a fantastic gift for your friend n I'm sure it's lready got a special place in her heart.
Donna

moosecraft said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Makes all the more perfect with the personalizing! I'm currently stitching on the White Flower pillow from that very same book...

Raymond Homestead said...

How nice, I'd be thrilled to receive a gift like that! Love that pattern!

cucki said...

So sweet x

Karen said...

A little late Happy Birthday to Kathy...and what a beautiful thoughtful gift you gave her. I imagine there were a few happy tears when she saw it.
Blessings,
Karen

The Humble Stitcher said...

It's wonderful, Lori! How lucky Kathy is to receive such a beautiful gift! Isn't wool applique fun for a nice change of pace?
Hope you have an amazing day :)
Sandy

Char said...

I love this pattern! What a nice gift for a friend! I bet she really enjoyed receiving it. Thanks for sharing the picture of it!

Char

thesimplequiet said...

Gorgeous! That's one of my favorites (so many!!) of MB's!

rebecca

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Love the Maggie piece!!! You are a very thoughtful friend!!