Tuesday, February 19, 2013

EARLY LADDERBACK ROCKER


 
HERE'S THE NEW ANTIQUE LADDERBACK
ROCKER WE PICKED UP THIS PAST WEEKEND
ON OUR LITTLE TRIP. I LOVE HOW IT'S NOT
PERFECT...JUST A BIT CROOKED....
INDICATING IT WAS MADE BY HAND LONG
YEARS AGO....CIRCA 1830. ALL ORIGINAL CONDITION.
 
 
LOVE THE ACORN STYLE FINIALS.

 
LOOK AT ALL THAT AGE! YOU CAN SEE
AN UNDERCOAT (RED) THRU THE BLACK ON THE BACK.
SOME NICE CRAZING SHOWING.
 
 
I LOVE THE ARMS. SO NICE AND WORN WITH AGE
BOTH THE UNDERCOAT AND TOP COAT WORN OFF
FROM YEARS OF ROCKING LEAVING A WONDERFUL
PATINA. HOW MANY BABIES WERE ROCKED HERE
IN ALMOST 200 YEARS?


 
THE WOVEN RUSH SEAT IS ORIGINAL AS WELL.
IT HAS SOME DAMAGE ALONG THE FRONT EDGE
BUT IS STILL STURDY. HOWEVER THE ROCKER
WILL BE OCCUPIED BY SOME OF MY DOLLS
TO BE SURE OF NO FURTHER DAMAGE.
 
THE SWEETEST OF ROCKERS.
I'M GLAD IT FOUND IT'S WAY INTO OUR HOME.
 
UNTIL NEXT TIME.....LORI

12 comments:

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

What a wonderful rocker! I love pieces that you can feel the history when you look at them. It will look wonderful with your dollies!
Louise

Karen said...

Morning Lori,
What a beautiful find. It certainly does have charachter and don't you just wonder who had this all those years ago. Love the chippy look.
Blessings,
Karen

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

flickering candlelight, perhaps some handstitching or reading of The Good Book ~ gently comforting a sick child or shelling peas on a farmhouse porch....

oh the memories your beautiful rocker holds!
I'm so happy that it found you too....
Blessed be!
Lori

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Oh, it's just too wonderful!
You have a real treasure, Lori.
Hugs,
Susan

Orange Sink said...

Lori,
What a wonderful find! I wonder if it originated in the east and how it ended up in WI? Awesome!! Beautiful piece for your home and a perfect sitting place for those prim dollies!!
Hugs!!
Cathy G

bayrayschild said...

Lori that rocker is right up my alley!

Love it!
Audrey

earlyamerica 1815 said...

Your new little rocker is FABULOUS Lori!! I was wrong...this isn't the chair I was thinking of...this one is WAY BETTER!!! I am also glad it found its way into your home!! Have a fun day, Tina

The Humble Stitcher said...

I love your "new" rocker, Lori! Don't you wish it could talk...imagine the stories it could tell!
So glad you found it!!!
Sandy

Elisha said...

Really neat one! What a find

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

I love old rockers ~ what a wonderful find. Enjoy!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Dan said...

Love the rocker!!! I really love early primitives. Thanks for sharing it with us. I hope you have a great week!

~Dan~

thesimplequiet said...

What a beauty! That chair is simple perfection and I love the time-worn finish!

rebecca