Wednesday, June 29, 2011

THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS IN A SMALL WORLD...


BEFORE I EXPLAIN MY TITLE I WANTED TO
SHOW YOU THIS GREAT LAKES SHIP TURNED
SIDEWAYS IN THE ST. MARYS RIVER. WHILE VISITING
MY FAMILY IN SAULT STE. MARIE, MICHIGAN MY
SISTER AND I HAPPENED ALONG AT JUST THE RIGHT
TIME AND SHE TOOK SOME PHOTO'S WITH HER PHONE.
IT WAS A  SLOW PROCESS BUT THEY WERE TURNING
AROUND IN THE RIVER. IT WAS FUNNY TO SEE IT
TURNED THIS WAY BUT INTERESTING TO WATCH.
IT DIDN'T TAKE AS LONG AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD, JUST
A MATTER OF MINUTES. THE SHORE YOU CAN
SEE ACROSS THE RIVER IS CANADA.

I BROUGHT MY NIECE BACK WITH ME FOR
A FEW DAYS. THIS IS MARISSA. YOU MAY
REMEMBER PICS I POSTED OF HER LAST YEAR.
SHE WILL BE TEN IN AUGUST. THIS MORNING
SHE HAD ZOE ALL SNUGGLED IN HER QUILT
AND TUCKED HER HEDGEHOG IN
BESIDE HER SO I COULDN'T RESIST THIS PHOTO.

NOW TO GET TO MY TITLE. ON OUR WAY
HOME YESTERDAY WE STOPPED AT A SMALL
SUBWAY SANDWICH SHOP FOR LUNCH
AND BY THE TIME WE GOT OUR ORDER THERE
WERE NO TABLES AVAILABLE. A KIND LADY
THAT WAS AT A TABLE WITH FOUR CHAIRS WAITING
FOR HER HUSBAND TO GET THEIR ORDER INVITED
US TO SIT WITH THEM SO WE DID. TURNS OUT THEY
WERE HEADED WHERE WE HAD COME FROM AND US THEM.
IN THE COURSE OF OUR CONVERSATION I LEARNED THEY
ONLY LIVE AN HOUR FROM ME IN AN AREA IN
WISCONSIN I KNOW WELL. THEY WERE THE NICEST
COUPLE AND THE FEW MINUTES OUR LIVES TOUCHED
IT FELT LIKE THEY WERE OLD FRIENDS. I SO APPRECIATE
THIS SMALL KINDNESS AND HOPE I AM AS THOUGHTFUL
WHEN SOMEONE NEEDS SOMETHING I CAN OFFER.
JUST A LITTLE REMINDER THAT SOMETIMES THE
SEEMINGLY SMALLEST OF KINDNESSES CAN
GO FAR TO MAKE SOMEONES DAY AND MAKE
THIS WORLD A BRIGHTER PLACE.
UNTIL NEXT TIME.....LORI

13 comments:

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lori~
I have a friend who is the captain of a ship on the great lakes...wonder if it was him??
The picture of your niece with Zoe and the hedgehog....PRICELESS!!
What a great story and it is so wonderful to still find out that "kindness matters" and that people do practice it often! YOU are one of those people my dear, and continually bless others with your sweet and gentle spirit! It couldn't have happened to a nicer person than YOU!!
Take care and thanks for the lovely post!
Blessings~~
Julie

Kim said...

That is a sweet story. I guess we notice those little gestures because they are often rare.

Beckyjean said...

Hi Lori~

Love the pic of your niece, her hedgehog & Zoe. Nice story~it's the little kind gestures that make someone's day.

Enjoy your evening~Becky

Connie said...

O, what a lovely post. How nice for all of you to meet.

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Such a cute picture of your niece with the bundle of Zoe and the hedgehog.
Simple gestures of kindness do really matter and I can tell it touched your heart :)

The Humble Stitcher said...

What a touching story, Lori, and a great reminder of how important those little kindnesses we show to others really are. Zoe looks quite content with her new hedgehog buddy...too cute!

moosecraft said...

I know that small picture of little Zoe tucked in a blanket with a hedgehog really made my day! :-)

From Sherry's Heart said...

You ALREADY are as kind as that couple and then some.Everyday you give me your love and friendship and even though it's on the phone,a shoulder to cry on.
THANK YOU!!!
Love,
Sherry

Penny said...

What a lovely post! Acts of kindness are so rare these days, but so appreciated when they happen....
The pic of your niece, Zoe and the hedgehog is adorable! Zoe sure looks comfy..... Thanks for sharing.
Happy 4th of July!

primitivebettys said...

That is a sweet story. I am always trying to teach Trinity ways to share kindness & am delighted to see him do the small things like opening the door for someone or picking up something dropped - and always giving a smile! Have fun with your niece :-)

mdgtjulie said...

That's really sweet of them to share their table. I would do something like that, lol. Well, as long as it was only one or two people. My social anxiety would kill me if it were more!!! Neat to see such a large ship. I've never seen one in person! Your niece is cute. Love the pic you took of the critter(s) together, lol.

Joanne said...

Love that pic of your niece and Zoe and the hedgehog - I looked at the pic before reading the description and thought that was Zoe but wasn't sure! LOL What a great story - how nice she reached out!

The Cinnamon Stick said...

There is a saying "what goes around comes around"...so I am very sure Lori that this act of kindness was just coming back to you!!! Happy 4th of July!!!