Thursday, May 5, 2011

A LITTLE TIP OR TWO....

I THOUGHT I'D SHARE A COUPLE OF
LITTLE TIPS IS DO WHEN BINDING A QUILT.
THIS IS MY SCHOOLHOUSE QUILT...YAY, IT'S DONE!
AFTER I FINISH HAND QUILTING AND TAKE OUT
THE BASTING STITCHES I LEAVE THE BASTING AROUND
THE OUTSIDE EDGE OF THE QUILT IN UNTIL I HAVE
THE BINDING SEWN ON. IT KEEPS THE QUILT SQUARE
AND DOESN'T ALLOW IT TO STRETCH OUT OF SHAPE.

HERE I'M DOING A CONTINUOUS BINDING.
ANOTHER LITTLE THING I DO IS PRESS ONE
LONG SIDE OF MY BINDING OVER A QUARTER INCH
BEFORE SEWING TO THE QUILT
SO THAT WHEN IT'S ON THE QUILT AND I FOLD IT
TO THE BACK TO HAND STITCH DOWN I HAVE A
NICE CREASE ALREADY THERE TO HAND STITCH.

HERE YOU CAN SEE THE BINDING IS ON
AND NOW I CAN PULL OUT THE BASTING STITCHES
AND I'M READY TO SEW DOWN MY BINDING.

I'D LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THE KIND
REMARKS ABOUT THE PN PIECE I SHOWED ON
MY LAST POST. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS
AND EMAILS. I HAVE STARTED SOME OTHER GOODIES
AND WILL BE WORKING ON THEM ALONG THE WAY THIS MONTH.
PAM, IF YOU SEE THIS DON'T WORRY!! I'M WORKING
ON YOUR RUG TOO!!!

I DID GET MY ZILPHA MOSS SAMPLER IN THE FRAME
AND HANGING. THE SCHOOLHOUSE QUILT IS
HANGING NEXT TO IT.  I WILL SAVE THAT FOR ANOTHER
POST I THINK. I PIECED ANOTHER SMALL QUILT
A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO THAT I WILL HAND
QUILT FOR LAYERING ON MY WALL RACK SO I'LL
SHOW THAT TO YOU ALSO. 

THAT'S IT FOR NOW. HAVE A LOVELY DAY
AND UNTIL NEXT TIME.....LORI

5 comments:

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Thank you Lori for the little tips. Helps people like me who want to quilt, but are afraid. You make it look so easy!

kelley said...

Your quilting is so wonderful...nothing like hand quilting! I've always run that basting stitch around a quilt top too before adding the binding...

Joanne said...

Your stitches look like perfection! So nice of you to share your tips!

TheCrankyCrow said...

The quilt is beautiful - Oh I so wish I had the talent (and space and time) to quilt! Started a little one many, many moons ago, and never finished it....Love seeing your creations. (Your punch piece is wonderful too!!) Smiles & Hugs, Robin

mdgtjulie said...

I don't know much about quilting. I'm a cross stitcher. But I do like seeing what you're working on and your finished products. Keep up the good work!!