Saturday, February 5, 2011

NEW SAMPLER GROUPING AND QUILTING MY STAR QUILT


ABOVE ARE THE THREE NEW SAMPLERS
I RECENTLY STITCHED FOR OUR BLUE/BROWN
GUEST BEDROOM.


ABOVE IS THE THIRD ONE I STITCHED THIS PAST
WEEK. IT'S A STACY NASH PATTERN CALLED
MISS MAE'S SPRING SAMPLER. IT'S STITCHED ON
LINEN USING DMC THREADS.


THE LIGHTING ISN'T SO GOOD BUT YOU CAN
GET AN IDEA OF HOW THEY LOOK NEXT TO
THE LITTLE INDIGO DRESSES.


THE LARGE SAMPLER ABOVE WAS WHERE
THE LUCINDA SAMPLER IS NOW. I MOVED
IT HERE ABOVE THE LITTLE BLACK DRY SINK
AND DECIDED I LIKED IT SO I PUT THE RED
GAMEBOARD THAT WAS IN
IT'S PLACE OUT IN THE LIVING ROOM.


I THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE HOW I AM
QUILTING MY STAR QUILT. BAPTIST FAN IS
 MY FAVORITE QUILTING DESIGN. IT'S AN ALL OVER
DESIGN WHICH MEANS YOU DO THE SAME PATTERN TO
COVER THE ENTIRE QUILT. I START AT THE BOTTOM
RIGHT CORNER AND WORK TO THE LEFT, ONE ROW
AT A TIME. ABOVE IS THE PLASTIC TEMPLATE
I USE. THIS IS THE LARGEST I HAVE BUT
I DO HAVE SEVERAL SMALLER SIZES AND USE
THEM ACCORDING TO THE SIZE OF THE QUILT I AM DOING.


HERE I AM MIDWAY ON A ROW AND DRAWING MY
NEXT SET OF ARCS.  I JUST DO ONE SET AT
AT TIME WITH A CHALK MARKER. I LINE UP
THE TEMPLATE LINES ON THE RIGHT WITH THE
PREVIOUSLY QUILTED LINES, MAKE SURE
I HAVE THE TEMPLATE STRAIGHT AND DRAW
MY NEXT SET.


ABOVE ARE THE LINES I JUST DREW. I START
WITH THE SMALLEST ARC AND WORK MY WAY OUT.


HERE I AM HAND QUILTING USING THE ROCKING
THE CRADLE MOTION. AFTER GETTING SEVERAL
STITCHES ON MY NEEDLE I PULL IT THROUGH.
I USE A METAL QUILTERS THIMBLE WITH A RIDGE
ON TOP TO KEEP THE NEEDLE FROM SLIPPING AND
SIZE EIGHT QUILTING NEEDLES. I HAD TO SET
MY QUILT ASIDE UNTIL MONDAY BECAUSE
I HAVE TO USE THE ECZEMA OINTMENT TODAY AND
TOMORROW AND THEN AGAIN NEXT WEEKEND AND
THEN I AM DONE! I DIDN'T WANT TO CHANCE
GETTING THE GREASY STUFF ON MY QUILT! I
DID GET TWO AND A HALF ROWS OF QUILTING DONE
THIS PAST WEEK SO I MADE GOOD
PROGRESS ON IT.  I HOPE TO HAVE IT HANGING
IN THE HALLWAY IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS. I'M STILL
NOT HOOKING UNTIL I'M DONE WITH THE ECZEMA TREATMENT.
I DON'T WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE ON IRRITATING IT SINCE
I AM SO CLOSE TO BEING DONE. HAVE A GREAT
WEEKEND AND THANKS FOR DROPPING BY. 
UNTIL NEXT TIME......LORI

17 comments:

Gayle said...

I love baptist fan quilting also, but have only actually used it on one project - how sad is that? LOL Your samplers are so lovely - you seem to get projects done SO quickly - what's your secret?

Rugs and Pugs said...

Lori ~
The amount you accomplish is simply amazing. I am in total awe. The samplers are lovely and perfect for your blue/brown guest room. I look forward to seeing your completed quilt.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

primitivebettys said...

Once again... your creations just make my heart warm! :)

Sandra said...

Good Afternoon Lori,
I so enjoy reading your blog and seeing all the wonderful pictures of your home. I also wonder how you get so much stitching done.
I must tell you that the large sampler with the two
houses is my "Lucy Redd" reproduction sampler. I am so happy to see it hanging in your home. The
original resides in Fredericksburg, as it was stitched
by a Fredericksburg resident of long ago. The family that owns it, let me reproduce it years ago. I tried to purchase it from them, but of course, they did not want to part with it. I certainly understood and was most grateful that they even let me own it for a little while for it to be graphed. Do you remember how long it took you to stitch it? It is quite a project but so worth it.

Wishing you many more "Happy Stitches",
Sandra
Homespun Elegance
plainfancymerchant.blogspot

Bobbie said...

Beautiful, Lori!! I wondered how those perfect rows of stitching was done! I love the samplers! I am finally making things for my bedrooms..not just the living room and kitchen..which is what I usually do..love all of your work!

Bobbie

HomeSpunPrims said...

Sandra,
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned the sampler pattern was one of yours. I stitched it several years ago and don't remember how long it took me but I had much younger eyes then so I'm sure it wasn't too terribly long! lol It's one of my very favorites. Thank you for offering it.

Girls, I don't know how I get so many projects done. I just know l love making things with my hands and I am a finisher! Can't stand having things laying around unfinished!
Lori

Courtney said...

Such patience! I loved seeing the process of your quilting. I used to try to hand quilt, but I don't measure terribly accurately and my quilts came out all wonky! Your work is beautiful. The samplers are such fun and look great grouped like that. Great post!
Courtney

WoolenSails said...

Love your grouping, I need to frame mine.
I machine quilt large designs, I cannot get the hang of a thimble.

Debbie

Dorothy said...

Love the baptist fan for the quilting design.

moosecraft said...

Love the samplers and where you decided to display them! That Stacy Nash one is an older design? Thanks for sharing your quilting technique! Those tiny little stitches... what a talent you are! :-)

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Lori~
Your work is always so beautifully done and inspiring!! Thank you for sharing your technique with us and I so hope your eczema responds to the treatment and gets better!!
Hope you are staying warm with all the cold weather and snow!!
Take care and warm Hugs~~

Blessings~~
Julie

HomeSpunPrims said...

Sharon,
Yes, the Stacy Nash pattern is an older one.

Julie,
The eczema is coming along nicely. I'm just following the prescribed treatment by the dermatologist I went to. Thanks for thinking of me. Lori

The Humble Stitcher said...

Your samplers looks great, Lori! I love how you have them displayed.
And thanks for the little tutorial on how you mark your quilts for quilting. I'm always so afraid of using the wrong thing and messing up my quilt top forever that I end up just using masking tape. It works ok but my design possibilities are definitely limited that way! I like how you do it much better :)

Sandy

carole said...

Lori, Looking forward to seeing the new sampler you are working on too. I also thought that I would give a hint to the Humble Stitcher about the masking tape; it is best not to leave the tape in place when you finish quilting for the day because it may leave a residue on your fabric. Carole theladyofthelake

Penny said...

Love your work --- you are a very talented lady!! Your sampler grouping is wonderful -- you have them displayed so nicely alongside the indigo dresses.

Diane said...

Lori-I love your samplers and quilts, and always look forward to seeing your home pics and projects. Also amazed at how fast you finish things! The Baptist Fan quilting design brought back loving memories of my grandmother, who quilted for a living. She almost always quilted using the Baptist Fan design.

Cobbler Cottage said...

Love all the photos of your lovely home! They are just squished full if inspiration! Thanks, Becky