Wednesday, August 11, 2010

HOOKING A WHITE PUMPKIN

I JUST FINISHED HOOKING A "WHITE" PUMPKIN THROUGH
A COTTON HANDWOVEN DISH TOWEL AND
THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE HOW I DID IT.
FIRST I MADE MY TEMPLATE FOR MY PUMPKIN
PATTERN FROM FREEZER PAPER, DRAWING IT ON THE PAPER
SIDE AND CUTTING IT OUT. THEN I
FUSED THE TEMPLATE TO THE TOWEL WITH
MY IRON AND THE WAX SIDE OF THE PUMPKIN TEMPLATE FACING
THE TOWEL. I DREW AROUND THE PUMPKIN WITH
A BLACK PERMANENT MARKER AND PEELED
THE FREEZER PAPER AWAY. NOW I CAN
PLACE THE TOWEL ON MY FRAME AND BEGIN TO HOOK. YOU
CAN SEE I DID THE STEM FIRST AND THEN OUTLINED THE PUMPKIN.
YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE TO HOOK JUST OUTSIDE THE LINES
AROUND THE OUTSIDE OF THE PATTERN SO THAT YOU
DON'T SEE ANY OF THE MARKER WHEN FINISHED. THIS WOULD BE
THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU WOULD DO WHEN HOOKING
A RUG. KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS WILL MAKE
YOUR DESIGN JUST A BIT BIGGER THAN THE DRAWING.

AFTER I HOOKED THE OUTLINE FOR THE PUMPKIN
AND LINES ON THE INSIDE I FILLED IN
WITH A DIFFERENT TEXTURED WOOL FOR THE MAIN PART
OF THE PUMPKIN.
HERE IT'S ALL HOOKED AND WAITING TO BE STEAMED
AND MADE INTO
A PILLOW. THESE TOWELS ARE FUN TO HOOK THROUGH
AS THEY HAVE A NICE OPEN WEAVE. YOU CAN
FIND THEM IN MOST PRIMITIVE DECORATING SHOPS.
I GOT THIS ONE AT A SIMPLER TIME IN RIPON, WI. A FUN AND
QUICK PROJECT.
HERE'S A PEEK AT A X~STITCH I JUST COMPLETED. I HAVE
YET TO MAKE INTO SOMETHING. I THINK I KNOW
WHAT I WILL DO. I TOOK SOME LIBERTIES WITH
LORI'S DELIGHTFUL DESIGN. I'LL BE USING
THE HOMESPUN IT'S LAYING ON AND ANOTHER NEAT
PUMPKIN COLOR HOMESPUN FOR MY FINISH.
UNTIL NEXT TIME....LORI

17 comments:

primitivebettys said...

You do such great works always! Thanks for sharing... you have me inspired! :)

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

That was wonderful..Thanks for the informative post!

Pat

Rugs and Pugs said...

Lori ~
What a clever idea to use the towel as a backing! Very sweet.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful pieces and I wouldn't have thought to go outside the lines, lol.

Debbie

Calico Rabbit said...

See this is why I love blogging!
I never would have thought to hook on a tea towel, and I LOVE IT!

Going to have to try that!

Thanks for sharing the great idea, love the cross stitch too!

Common fall, we're a waitin' on ya!

Hugs,
Kerri

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

am loving your pumpkin pillow..I need to learn how to do this..looks simple..but..do you sell your items?

Hillcresthome Prims said...

That came out so AWESOME!!!!I don't know how to do that kind of craft but I wish you lived near me so I could learn. I believe like my mother is very talented that way so, I believe you have a true and beautiful talented. I can't wait to see more! Have a great day.
Blessings,
Tricia

Lori said...

Yes, I do sell my goods on my picturetrail. The link is on the upper left of my blog. I'll be having an update the end of August but there are usually things on there all the time for sale. Thanks for asking. Lori

moosecraft said...

Beautiful pumpkin, Lori! And, thanks so much for the tutorial! Hopefully I can remember to make one before fall... and get a nice frame for it! You always have such wonderful ideas! Looking forward to seeing the finish on the x-stitch too!

Bobbie said...

I love that pumpkin on the dishcloth Lori! I am always seeing those types of dishcloths... What a great idea! I love your sampler!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

What a wonderful pumpkin you do the most amazing work and I would have never thought of a dishtowel! Your sampler looks great, too. Thanks for sharing.

Nan ~ Threadwork Primitives said...

Boy, do I love white pumpkins. It's going to be a very cool pillow. Your sampler looks great too. I adore Notforgotten Farm patterns. Can't wait to see the finish.
~Nan

Gayle said...

what a brilliant idea to hook through a towel! I know I have several of those that I've never used - I'll have to pull them out and give it a try. Thanks for sharing - I love it!

patijane said...

What a great idea, Lori. Your pumpkin looks great. I have several towels like that so you have inspired me to try hooking on them. Thanks for the lesson. Your work is beautiful!!!

Hayley @ Prim it Up! said...

beautiful!!

BeFRuiTFuL KReaTioNS said...

Thank you for sharing how you created this fun white pumpkin. Love the colors.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Lori~
You make it look so easy and usually I can make just about anything, but still have yet to learn and master rug hooking and needlepunching!! I love the tutorial and all your work! I just wish I could "blink" myself to MI!! Thanks so much for sharing..really beautiful pieces!!!
Blessings~
Julie