Sunday, July 18, 2010

A GARDENER I AM NOT!

I LOVE FLOWERS BUT I AM NOT A GARDENER BY ANY
MEANS! I DO PLANT POTS OF RED GERANIUMS
AND RED PETUNIAS ON OUR BACK DECK
AS I LOVE THE PUNCH OF COLOR THEY GIVE.
I BOUGHT THE TWO BLACK ROCKING
CHAIRS AT LOWE'S THIS SUMMER.
ZOE AND I OFTEN SIT AND ROCK WHILE SHE
SNIFFS THE SCENTS ON THE SUMMER BREEZE.
I'VE BEEN COLLECTING DIFFERENT OLD AND
WEATHERED GREY THINGS FOR
MY DECKS AND GARDENS FOR YEARS.
I BOUGHT THE OLD LADDER BY THE DOOR THIS YEAR.
I BOUGHT THIS OLD TOOL CARRIER MANY YEARS
AGO FROM A YARD SALE FOR A QUARTER! AHHH,
THOSE WERE THE DAYS!
MY SISTER LOIS PAINTED THE PRIM CROW ON
A PIECE OF DRIFT WOOD SMOOTHED BY
THE WASH OF THE WAVES OVER IT FROM
LAKE SUPERIOR. I HUNG IT INSIDE
AN OLD SIFTER.
THE BIRDHOUSE WAS MADE UP OF SALVAGED
WOOD AND OTHER THINGS FROM OLD BUILDINGS.
THE OLD OIL CAN IS PAINTED BLACK AND VERY
RUSTY BUT THAT'S WHAT I LOVE ABOUT IT.
THE OLD WHEEL BARROW WAS HERE
WHEN WE MOVED IN SO I'VE PUT IT TO USE
ON A CORNER OF THE DECK. I BOUGHT
THE BLACK PAINTED MILK OR CREAM CAN THIS SUMMER IN
MY TRAVELS.
SOME OF MY WATERING CAN COLLECTION.
LOVE HOW THEY LOOK ALL IN A ROW.
I'VE HAD THE LONG BENCH FOR SEVERAL YEARS
AND IT'S PERFECT FOR HOLDING THEM.
ANOTHER RUSTY TIN BIRDHOUSE. NEWLY MADE
WITH OLD TIN FOR THE ROOF AND GRAPE VINE
WRAPPED AROUND IT.
OK, I HAVE LOTS OF WORK TO MAKE THIS
LOOK BETTER. IT'S THE FRONT OF THE HOUSE
THAT FACES OUR STREET. WE HAVE A GAS
METER SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FRONT
OF THE HOUSE SO I TRIED TO HIDE IT AS BEST I COULD
WITH AN OLD CHAIR AND PLANTS MY
SISTER LOIS GAVE ME FROM HER
GARDENS. I PUT AN OLD WOOD HAY RAKE BEHIND
THE METER . I FIGURED I MIGHT AS WELL USE IT
 TO PROP UP THE RAKE!
MY FRIEND JUDY GIFTED ME THE OLD RUSTY SHOVEL
AND RUSTY WHEEL. LOVE THEM!
LOIS MADE ME THE LEAF ON THE GROUND OUT OF CONCRETE.
SHE USED A REAL LEAF FOR THE MOLD. VERY COOL!


THAT'S IT FOR MY GARDENING. PRETTY PITIFUL, I KNOW,
BUT THOUGHT I'D SHARE IT WITH YOU ANYWAY.
UNTIL NEXT TIME.  LORI

11 comments:

Mindy said...

I love red geraniums but they always die on me so I stopped getting them. I think you covered your gas meter really good!Everything looks really pretty!

Bobbie said...

This is cracking me up! I am in the yard, pulling weeds and grumbling the whole time just told my husband "Lori in the UP doesn't like to garden either, and her deck looks beautiful!" He told me to stop complaining and keep weeding!! I'm taking a pizza break and saw your update...it's too funny, Lori! Your deck looks beautiful...my idea of gardening too!

taylors*farmhouse*attic said...

Oh, it looks beautiful!!!!!..Simple and primitive...You have collected some wonderful pieces!!..Thanks for sharing!!~~hugs,Jen

Rugs and Pugs said...

Lori ~
You have some wonderful items to grace your deck and yard. I love your collection of watering cans.
You did a great job hiding the gas meter!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Lori said...

LOL Bobbie!

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

I think everything looks great! I think just a few planters and pots here and there are a heck of alot easier!!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Now that's my kind of gardening...not a lot of weeds. Everything looks great love your collection of watering cans!

bayrayschild said...

You may not consider yourself a gardener but your talent sure does shine in the creating and decorating category!
I love your porch and all of your creations!

Audrey

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Lori~
You have done a beautiful job making everything look primitively perfect!! I am the absolute WORST gardener ever and kill everything I touch!! It is a good thing that all the plants in the shop are fake as I seem to do much better with them! Love the watering cans and the chair with rake over the meter....so inventive!
Blessings~
Julie

Grammee Linda said...

I love your prim outside decor. It look perfect with the geraniums and adds so much interest!

Joanne said...

Can you come to my house and "not garden" - Your area looks beautiful - me - I can't even show mine! LOL