Friday, February 12, 2010

HOW TO HANG A RUG


THIS IS JUST HOW I DO IT! I MAKE A SLEEVE OUT OF COTTON FABRIC. I LIKE KONA COTTON BECAUSE IT'S HEAVIER THAN MUSLIN.
I CUT A STRIP AS WIDE AS MY RUG X SIX INCHES OR SO.
THEN I PRESS THE SHORT ENDS OVER ABOUT AN INCH AND MACHINE SEW DOWN WITH A STRAIGHT STITCH.
THEN I SEW A QUARTER INCH SEAM DOWN THE LONG SIDES TO MAKE A TUBE. I PRESS THE SEAM OPEN.
TURN IT RIGHT SIDE OUT AND PRESS THE TUBE FLAT
WITH THE SEAM IN THE BACK.
THEN I CENTER IT ON THE TOP OF MY RUG AND PIN IN PLACE.
I SEW IT DOWN BY HAND ON BOTH SIDES
USING STURDY THREAD LIKE CARPET THREAD.
I USE A FLAT PIECE OF WOOD OR A YARD STICK FOR THE HANGER.
MY HUSBAND DID THE ONE SHOWN FOR ME AND IT DOES
MAKE THE RUG BULGE OUT A BIT SO NOW
I DRILL HOLES IN THE END OF THE SLAT OF WOOD
THAT WILL GO OVER THE NAIL HEAD IN THE WALL
AND I'VE FOUND IT LAYS FLATTER THAT WAY.
I SLIDE THE WOOD UNDER BOTH LAYERS OF THE TUBE TO MAKE IT STURDIER. THIS WAY NOTHING SHOWS. LORI

10 comments:

moosecraft said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! I've been using the carpet strips... but often wonder if the tacks are damaging the threads in the backing... I hope to try your technique for the next rug I hang! :-)

Kathy (woolfind) said...

I use a sleeve too when hanging usually. I noticed it was nice and flat on your wall. I like the hanger on the end of the wood you used. Will keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing!

primitivebettys said...

Oh I do need to do this! I'm bad... just have mine actually nailed to the wall with tiny nails. Thanks for the lesson, Lori!

Deb said...

I use that same method for hanging quilts! A very sturdy way of hanging precious things.

T.F.C. Folk Art said...

Great tip, Lori!! Thanks for sharing~Jackie

Lori said...

Deb,
that's how I hang my quilts too. Lori

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Thanks so much! Great way to hang rugs.

Beth Twist said...

Perfect timing! I am just now finishing up my first rug, and was wondering how to best make it hang-able. This seems like a fool-proof method.

Angie Wilderman said...

How did you finish the canvas? the canvas on mine is wider than the finished rug. Did you use quilting thread to stitch it down? How wide a seem did you leave on the canvas - I have about 1.5 inches.