Wednesday, December 30, 2009

THIS IS A STORY.......

ABOUT OUR GRANDMOTHER AND HER KILT.
THIS IS A PICTURE OF MY OLDER SISTER LINDA AND I WITH OUR MOTHERS PARENTS. GRANDMA AND GRANDPA CLARK IMIGRATED TO THE USA FROM SCOTLAND IN THE 1940's. THEY SETTLED IN RUTHERFORD NEW JERSEY. THIS PHOTO IS ON THEIR STOOP IN 1960.


THIS IS OUR FAMILY CHRISTMAS 1961. MY BABY SISTER LOIS WAS BORN DECEMBER 13th. OUR FIRST CHRISTMAS TOGETHER.

THIS IS THE WOOL OF OUR GRANMOTHER ISABELLE McLEAN CLARK'S KILT THAT SHE WORE AS A YOUNG GIRL.
MY MOTHER WORE IT AS A TEENAGER AND SO DID BOTH OF MY SISTER'S. I'M NOT SURE WHY I NEVER DID!
MY SISTER LOIS HAD IT AND A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO WE WERE TALKING ABOUT MY HOOKED RUGS AND LOIS THOUGHT OF THE KILT.
I OFFERED TO MAKE US EACH A HOOKED RUG USING THE WOOL IN IT SO THAT WE'D EACH HAVE A PIECE OF GRANDMOTHER CLARK'S PAST.






THIS IS LOIS AND I WITH HER SNOWMAN RUG. THAT'S ME ON THE LEFT. THE DESIGN IS BY MY FRIEND KELLEY. I USED THE RED STRIP OF WOOL FOR THE HAT AND THE GREEN STRIP FOR THE SCARF. THE REST WERE WOOLIE WORMS I HAD LEFTOVER FROM OTHER RUGS I'VE HOOKED.



THIS IS LINDA WITH HER ANGEL RUG. I USED THE KILT WOOL FOR THE ANGEL DRESSES. MY FRIEND SHERRY
GAVE ME INPUT ON THE ANGEL RUG. I USED A PATTERN BY JULIE
FOR THE ANGEL RUG PATTERN AND ADAPTED IT A BIT.


THIS IS A CLOSE UP OF THE SNOWMAN RUG.






THIS IS A CLOSE UP OF THE ANGEL RUG. I HAVE YET TO MAKE A RUG FOR ME. I WILL GET TO IT. I WANTED TO SURPRISE MY SISTER'S THIS YEAR WITH THEIR RUGS. THEY COME TO VISIT ME EVERY YEAR AFTER CHRISTMAS AND I WANTED THIS TO BE THE YEAR THEY HAVE A PIECE OF OUR FAMILY HISTORY TO HOLD AND CHERISH. THEY WERE VERY HAPPY! LORI





26 comments:

Linda said...

Oh, Lori..........what special rugs those are! And, beautifully done too. Your sisters will love them
How nice that there are 3 angels on there!
Linda/simplycountryseasons

katie said...

What an absolutely great story. How wonderful to have special memories hooked into your rugs. They will always be treasured.

bayrayschild said...

Lori, you are such a thoughtful sister!

The rugs are absolutely beautiful with a story behind each of them which makes them even more interesting!

Audrey

WoolenSails said...

Lori,
That is a wonderful story and a wonderful way to keep a memory for all of you.

Debbie

jleibfried said...

Wonderful idea, wonderful projects. Wish I had a sister that would do this for me.

Happy New Year to you and yours.

Janet - underthewillow said...

Those rugs are GORGEOUS Lori! and what a special story! I'm sure your sisters will cherish their gifts forever!

Happy New Year!
Janet

Lori said...

such a sweet way to remember family...both your grandmother, and your sisters...lucky you have them, and they....you!

Happy New Year Lori!!!

Lori from Notforgotten Farm

Joanne said...

Wow Lori - the rugs look great with that wool - what a fantastic way to preserve the memories and the kilt! You are one special sister!

Gayle said...

What a wonderful way to share with your sisters - and you didn't even have to overdye that bright red! My FIL died about 3 months ago and I got two of his wool shirts - I'd like to make a rug for my MIL out of them, but haven't come up with a plan yet.

The Evening Stitcher said...

What a beautiful story, Lori...and what gorgeous rugs! Your sisters must be so excited to receive such a wonderful gift!

Bobbie

moosecraft said...

Beautiful tribute to your Grandma, Lori! Both rugs are gorgeous, and the story behind them makes them both treasured keepsakes. :-)

Kathy (woolfind) said...

What a lovely story Lori. How nice to put a piece of your past into a rug for the future. Wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing!

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

Lori~ Love your rugs!! The family history is great!! It's so funny because I have a picture of my mom,dad, me and my sister, the sofa in your picture looks exactly like the sofa in mine . It was taken 1960's also. Happy New Year!

yellowfarmhouse said...

What a great memory hooked into your rugs. There adorable and I bet your sisters will treasure them forever.

karen

primitivebettys said...

Both rugs are wonderful! How special it is to make your sisters heirlooms to share the joy of you Grandma. Now... lets see your rug! Ya better get to hookin'.

Smiles to you Lori!

Betty

Cotton Eyed Jo said...

Great rugs, and also so enjoyed seeing pictures of you as a girl. Interesting to see how the different parts of the quilt hooked in to bring variety!

As a grandma, it pleases me too. Knowing how the things we leave behind, can add special secret meaning to already beautiful rugs.

Kris Miller said...

What a wonderful story! Those rugs will be treasured always. I'll be your grandma would be really proud and touched by your thoughtfulness in preserving a family keepsake that would otherwise be packed away somewhere.

from me to thee......... said...

what a wonderful thing to do, you and your sisters/family must be very special. Linda

QUAINT AND PLAIN said...

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL INSIDE AND OUT MY FRIEND.... LOVELY MEMORIES!!! & BEAUTIFUL RUGS..... HAPPY NEW YEAR...XXX ~ B

Mary said...

Lori, what a sweet way to remember and pay tribute to your grandmother! And the rugs are simply precious! Thanks for sharing one of your family stories!!!

lovetheprimlook said...

Lori, your work is wonderful !!!! Perfect for passing down to other members of the family too.

Angie

Angie Berry said...

Lori, how sweet is that! What a wonderful idea to share your grandmother's kilt with your sisters in the form of hooked rugs! I absolutley LOVE reading stories like this where something is passed down. Thanks for sharing!

I love the look of primitive rug hooking and this is going to be the year that I start doing it! I've researched it a little, need to do a little bit more before I dive in. Seeing your beautiful rugs has been an inspiration for me!! Thanks so much! =]

Cabin Creek Farm ♥ said...

What a great way to share your Grandmother's kilt with your sisters, something so beautiful created with your hands and a family heirloom ♥ Beautiful rugs and a beautiful story.

Rebecca said...

What enchanting rugs, Lori ~ Forever keepsakes, and so special. Congratulations on your beautiful work!

Mary said...

What a wonderful sentiment. And what wonderful workmanship.

Thilda said...

So wonderful idea! Beautiful rugs! And you have also Scottish roots? Mine are The Ross family. One of them came to Finland 17th century. :)